If you recall my previous post - you should, it's only been like two or three days, who keeps count? - you know I was fed up with quite a lot of things and decided to make a couple of changes. Well, it may come as a surprise to some, maybe not so to others but I've taken the first step towards a new and brighter future.
I've thought long and hard about this, and some may recall that I already said years ago that I'd feel like building a log cabin in the Canadian woods some day. Maybe not for permanent residency, but to have the experience nevertheless. Well... allow me to present to you : the plot.
For those of you too lazy to actually click and read up, that link goes to a plot of land in Canada for which I've put in an offer. It's in the woods with waterfront access, in Mattawa, Ontario, just off Old Highway 17. In fact, it's everything I need and according to the broker I've been in contact with, my offer of $169,000 is almost certain to be accepted. I sure hope it is!
Starting May 17th I've taken two weeks off from work and I'll be making my first trip up there! I'm pretty sure it's gonna be quite the experience indeed. I've already been in touch with local suppliers to get some things organized so I can use the first week to build a temporary shelter that'll stand a winter - possibly two - while I use the second week to cut down trees, clear more land and get those logs prepared so they can be piled up and dry. Actual cabin construction wouldn't start before 2013 though as those logs need time to dry before cutting them and using them to build a log cabin. I could just order dried and pre-cut logs from a wood mill in the area, but that would thwart the whole log cabin building experience, wouldn't it?
Okay, so you think I'm insane, right? Well, you probably are not far off the mark, but at least now you know why construction on my current property has been slow to non existent the past couple of months. The house I just purchased last year, was sold in order to be able to buy the land in Canada and have some spare cash to get some work done. It's a bit of a gamble, but mind you... I'm not totally going off the deep end.
We're going through an integration process at work (merger of two companies) and my new employer actually is a multinational corporation that also has branches in Canada. In fact, if I hadn't been offered a position there, I probably wouldn't have taken the decision just yet, but as everything seems to fall into place... why pass up the opportunity? The only downside - well, there are more I assume, but those may only pop up later - is that I need to brush up my language skills as French is not really my native language and it's clear that I'll be working with other people that speak English or French (Canada is bi-lingual, you know?) and as such I better come prepared.
I'm looking forward to the big adventure that starts well... today - if my offer is accepted that is. If it's not, I guess I'll just accept the position in Canada anyway and delay the whole log cabin building for a bit longer till I find another good spot to build my retreat, my quiet space in nature.
I've read up about bear proofing shelters to prevent things from being ripped to shreds, I'm not all that certain I'm ready to actually face on of those hungry animals yet. Once I start getting to know the woods though, I guess they can be avoided and hopefully it will never come to a direct confrontation as that would either end with me being killed, or me having a very nice rug in front of the fireplace and a whole lot of bear meat in the freezer, lol.
See ya, gotta go sign some paperwork and request more forms, visa etc.